Waiting on Stat correction

Waiting on Stat correction
The inspiration to the blog's name

Monday, October 20, 2014

Watching the Window Close

One of the worst feelings is, slowly watching something you care about get out of reach. In the NFL, the term "window is closing" means a team, player, or coach is running out of time to win, reach the Super Bowl or even keep their job. The Broncos and Patriots are both well aware that the window is closing for their hall of fame quarterbacks so they are taking advantage of the time they have left. One team is doing better than the other but that is a different topic. It is very difficult to watch your team's window close but it will happen to everyone. The teams currently with the window closing quickly are; 
  • Denver Broncos: The players are older and the great Peyton Manning won't be around for much longer
  • New England Patriots: The talent is young but without Tom Brady they are still unproven. 
  • Cincinnati Bengals: AJ Green and Giovani Bernard are great but Andy Dalton has yet to prove he can carry this team deep into the playoffs. Also looking at the rest of the AFC North, they have trouble coming. 
  •  San Francisco 49ers: Not exactly sure what is going on with Jim Harbaugh but the team has been to the NFC Championship the last 3 years and made it to the Super Bowl in one of those years. Frank Gore's clock is ticking and Colin Kaepernick needs to settle down. 
  • Chicago Bears: If they aren't winning now that is concerning. They have a quality quarterback. Forte will begin the decline of his career and Brandon Marshall won't be around for much longer. The Lions are finally looking good and the Vikings have been rebuilding for three years. Lets not forget Aaron Rodger's Packers are in the division as well.  
  • San Diego Chargers: Phillip Rivers has been awesome but how long can he play like this? Antonio Gates is nearing the end of his career and unfortunately for them they play in the same division as the Broncos. The Chiefs are missing a few pieces to run for the division title and I know it is hard to believe but the Raiders won't stay bad forever.  
  • New Orleans Saints: They have struggled to have playoff success since the Super Bowl in 2010. Their Defense hasn't been all that great since the bounty scandal made headlines. They also have given Drew Brees very little to throw to besides Jimmy Graham. They play in a division that is currently run by the Panthers but the Falcons are so close to being contenders again which will only make it more difficult for the Saints.

I started the season of 3-1 and thought I was looking at a top 2 seed in my fantasy football league. I let the success get to me. I'm currently 3-4 and I am now in panic mode with only 6 weeks left. There is no more games I can afford to lose. It is difficult for me to look at my team and see my record. I have the talent but I've lost a lot of close match ups. I have been hit with the injury bug and struggle to find a solid running back to complement LeSean McCoy. I missed the playoffs last year and it left a bad taste in my mouth all offseason. I can't go through another eight months of that. I thought this was my year. My season isn't over and I will never give up but it is hard to watch the window close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment