Waiting on Stat correction

Waiting on Stat correction
The inspiration to the blog's name

Friday, October 17, 2014

How To Win Your Fantasy Football League


How to win your Fantasy Football league

          I was introduced to fantasy football by a friend three years ago. I didn't think much of it at first, I barely watched football except for the occasional Vikings game with my dad. It was week 4 of the season and I logged onto my ESPN account to see my team was the holder of a 1-3 record. Maybe it was my ultra competitive nature or my fixation for power, whatever it was, I was hooked. Week after week I would sit with my computer and do fantasy research. Do I start this guy? This guy has potential. Is this trade good for me? Who should I pickup this week? All these questions perplexed me and I was transfixed in a world of my own; a world where I can choose whether I win or lose.

          Fast Forward to 2014. I have been crowned champion 2 out of my 3 seasons playing fantasy football. I joined a league with some of my best friends, and there's nothing better to have bragging rights over your buddies. It is my belief that fantasy football is not only a game of skill but a weekly statistical battlefield that one can perfect to a science. Luck does play a part, I scored the most points during my 2nd season but failed to make the 6 team playoffs. I'm going to tell you how to maximize the odds, and help you win a championship

Draft Day

          Ideally you want to acquire a team of high upside players. You should have good depth at each position and stick to the fundamentals. Running back is the most important position, as it is the most difficult to replace. Always draft the handcuffs of your top 2 running backs. Wide receivers of teams with good quarterbacks are the most valuable. Ex. Jordy Nelson, Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas. Wait on a quarterback, you can always find a one facing a bad defense on the waiver wire. Tight end is a more important than people think, draft a high upside tight end. Always draft the defense and kicker in the last two rounds of your draft. Spend your other rounds on rbs and wrs with potential to break out.

In Season

With your plethora of high upside players, you are set for bye weeks and possible injuries. This season I lost Adrian Peterson to the law, but was alright because I drafted a high upside Giovani Bernard and break out player Rashad Jennings. Scour the waiver wire for players that could help your team's weaknesses and pickup high upside players. Toward the end of the season, you should start to trade your depth for the optimal players. Ex. Emmanuel Sanders and Fred Jackson for Jordy Nelson. Try to trade with teams that have struggled because they're more willing to trade plus there's a reason they're not doing so well. Optimize your team with players that have good playoff matchups. This is very important, you don't want your top wide receiver facing a team like Seattle.

Other Tips

·        A good indicator of a running backs value is their snap percentage, you want your players on the field right?

·        Wide Receiver who get a lot of targets are the ideal receivers especially in ppr leagues

·        Don't over think about who to start

·        The stock market axiom "Buy Low, Sell High" is essential when trading

·        Don't underestimate the value of an offensive line or an injury to a player of one

·        Never have empty bench spots, always fill them with potential weekly breakouts

Recap

At the end of the day, Fantasy Football is about having fun. Don't berate other league members and get too wound up in it. Fantasy football is an escape for many people and therein lies the fun. Your escape will undoubtedly be more enjoyable if your team wins. Good luck to all fantasy team owners this season.

- Jacob Khosla

 

No comments:

Post a Comment