Waiting on Stat correction

Waiting on Stat correction
The inspiration to the blog's name

Monday, November 10, 2014

Something to Celebrate

Crossing the goal line, hitting a home run, shooting a three and scoring a goal are some of the moments that cause our emotions to get the best of us. When I score a goal in hockey, I have to celebrate. It is something that doesn't happen often for me and I want to enjoy my achievement. My favorite celly (word for celebration that is often used in hockey) is to go on one knee as I glided on the ice and sweep one hand across the ice before raising my hand to my ear to emphasis to the crowd that they aren't loud enough. 

The problem with celebrating after scoring can look poorly on yourself and your team. I know the NFL has been attempting to minimize player celebration after a touchdown. The NFL has been making players pay if they use props and possibly get a penalty during the game. This past offseason the NFL made it a penalty if a player dunked the ball over the goal post. Jimmy Graham is to blame for that because he had caused a delay when he bent a goal post after he scored a touchdown. 

Players have also hurt themselves by celebrating. Lamarr Houston ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee while celebrating a sack. Players don't just get hurt while celebrating in football. Kendrys Morales broke his leg and missed over 100 games when he was celebrating his walk off grand slam with the Los Angeles Angles in 2010. These are just a few of the many injuries that came from celebrating. I can see why it can cause problems for players and teams, but I enjoy the post-score celebrations. 



Nobody was better at celebrating than Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson (aka Chad Ochocinco). I would cheer for them to score just to see how they celebrated. They always had to one-up each other. 


















Top TD celebrations
(Just my opinion)

  1. Lambeau Leap
  2. Deion Sander's High Step
  3. The Dunks
  4. Terrell Owens stands on the Dallas Star (when he was a 49er) 
  5. T.O.'s signs a football with sharpie from his sock
  6. T.O.'s Popcorn
  7. Chad Johnson's sign
  8. Chad Johnson's pylon putt
  9. Randy Moss's Lambeau Moon
  10. Gronk Spike 


Why am I talking about celebrations this week? Thanks to Kaelin Clay. What appeared to be a 78 yard touchdown reception that would give Utah a 14 point lead over the Oregon Ducks, was actually a fumble at the 1 yard line that the Ducks returned for a touchdown. Clay had dropped the ball one yard too early, as he was beginning his touchdown celebration prematurely. This same thing happened to DeSean Jackson his rookie year in the NFL. I know the adrenaline and excitement can get to your head but before the fun begins, make sure have something to celebrate. 




No comments:

Post a Comment