Waiting on Stat correction

Waiting on Stat correction
The inspiration to the blog's name

Monday, December 1, 2014

4th and Inches

"I hate fantasy football, and it's the only thing I really loved."
- Pete Eckhart, The League

Early August, all I could think about was the beginning of a new fantasy football season. I went to Target and pick up my draft guide magazine. I read through every page, so I could create my dream team. I went through the depth charts of each team and see which running backs I need to handcuff. I looked at injuries such as Rob Gronkowski. I read some of Matthew Berry's draft advice. I looked over average draft position and mark down when I need to pick my guys. I then began the mock drafts. I did at least five mock drafts because there was always one guy that picked the Jaguars D/ST in the first round. After about three weeks of serious preparation, draft day was finally here.

I drafted Calvin Johnson in the 1st round because he constantly puts up big numbers, and you can count on him to play every week. He got hurt week four and doesn't put up numbers again until week ten. This was the theme of my whole draft but I had no idea what I was going to deal with all year.

The only good thing that came out of the draft was my eighth pick, Jeremy Maclin, but it wasn't enough.

I started the season 3-1. I made a video for my fantasy league that had me wearing my Calvin Johnson jersey on and the song "All I do is Win" was playing in the back round. I will tell you there is such things as a jinx. This was it.

My team fell quickly and I knew I had to make moves. I traded away AJ Green and Andrew Luck to get Eddie Lacy, Cam Newton, and Andre Johnson. I later traded Lacy, Dwayne Allen, and DeSean Jackson for Tom Brady, Joique Bell and Michael Crabtree. I thought I put together the best team I have ever had.

I was wrong. I had the names that would sell out a stadium, but all I care about were wins. I just couldn't figure out where I went wrong. I had the players but they didn't perform. 

I had tried to recreate the team I had when I won it all in 2011. Focus on having strong wide receivers, and good quarterback with a compliment of average running backs. However, there is no possible way to know the perfect fantasy lineup strategy. Every year is different. 

Many people can relate to me when I say this, missing the playoffs sucks. All the time spent on the draft, studying the waiver wire, evaluating everyone's team, making blockbuster trades, and setting a lineup every Sunday morning, spent for nothing. I poured my heart and soul into this season and for what? I get so into the silly game because it's suppose to be fun. I get more stressed and nervous than I get excited. I put myself through an emotional roller coaster, so I can be crowned the champion of my league. Is that really worth it? The pain of losing is not fun to live with. For the second straight year, I'm watching my friends battle for the championship. I have told myself multiple times this year that I am done with fantasy football, but I know I'm not. I just can't stand the feeling in my stomach of coming up short, for coming up 4th and inches. 


No comments:

Post a Comment